0121 777 7864
JR Jones Solicitors Birmingham
solicitors Birmingham

Changing your name legally

Lots of people wish to change their name, for lots of reasons. If you are over the age of 18 you are legally entitled to change your name, for any reason you wish, as long as your intent is not to defraud or deceive another person.

We can deal with all the legal aspects of this for you quickly and at a reasonable cost.

Common reasons why people want to change their name:

  • Divorce or separationcontact us
  • Adoption
  • They are unhappy with their current name
  • To have the same surname as their child
  • Marriage

Legally changing your name is done by use of a legal document known as a ‘Change of name deed’. Our family solicitors can prepare this document for you, and once it is properly signed and witnessed it can be used as evidence of a change of name.

This option is only available to adults over the age of 18. If you wish to change a child’s name, this can also be arranged but it is a more complex process as it requires the consent of all parties who have parental responsibility for the child to agree to it.

Contact us for more information on changing your name or changing your child’s name.