0121 777 7864
JR Jones Solicitors Birmingham
solicitors Birmingham

Child Maintenance

All parents have a responsibility to provide financial support to their children, regardless of whether they live with them or havecontact us contact with them.

Child maintenance is the regular financial payments made towards the living costs of the children. The parent who lives with the children is able to claim child maintenance payments from the other parent.

How much child maintenance should be payed?

A set formula is in place to for child maintenance. The calculation is based on the net income of the non-resident parent (after deduction of income tax and national insurance). For self employed people, net income is calculated by reference to the total taxable profits in the last 52 weeks, again after the deduction of tax and national insurance. Once the net income is worked out then the child support is calculated based on the number of children and whether or not the children have overnight stays with the non-resident parent.

For example, if there is one child then the parent has to pay 15% of their net income in child support. For 2 children they have to ay 20% and for three children 25%.

If the children stay overnight with the parent, for example one night a week, then the payment is reduced by 1/7th. For two nights it is reduced by 2/7th.

What if the non-resident parent refuses to pay child maintenance?

Parents have a legal responsibility to provide financial support to their children. If they refuse to pay maintenance then the resident parent can make an application can be made to the Child Support Agency (CSA). The CSA will then assess the circumstances and can pursue the other parent for payment.